ARQUITECTUM, a company devoted to the organizing of architecture competitions, is pleased to welcome the world’s architects to the International Architecture Competition “HONG KONG 2011”, to be held from August 2011 until December 2011.
The Special Administrative Region of Hong Kong of the People’s Republic of China, better known as Hong Kong (Chinese: 香港, literally ‘fragrant harbor’) is a special administrative region in southern China formed by a peninsula and a number of islands, situated on China’s southern coast and enclosed by the South China Sea and the Pearl River Delta, along with the cities of Canton and Macao. It was a British colony until July 1 1997.
Hong Kong is one of two “special administrative regions” in the People’s Republic of China. The other is the old Portuguese colony of Macao. In these two special administrative regions the administrative model known as “one country, two systems” is applied. This system, which was developed by Deng Xiaoping, who intended to apply it to an eventual reunification with Taiwan, consists of the maintaining of a capitalist economic system under the sovereignty of a country governed by an official communist party (which is the case of present-day China and has been for a many years). In addition to their economic system, these two regions maintain an independent administrative and judicial system, as well as their own customs system and external borders.
In addition, Hong Kong is an emporium characterized by international banking, a liberal economy and liberal attitudes towards sex. Yes, sex. Because Hong Kong is an enclave for “yuppies” and foreign executives, the sex industry, nightclub scene and luxury hotel market represent an enormous attraction for many executives.
And that it why ARQUITECTUM has chosen for this competition the famous “red light” district of Mong Kok (Portland Street). And we have decided to tackle a thorny but nevertheless very interesting subject: a “Luxury Adult Club-Hotel”, where eroticism comes together with architecture, demonstrating in this way that architecture is relevant to all aspects of life and any project can be resolved in an interesting and creative manner when planned from the very beginning.
OBJECTIVES OF THE COMPETITION:
• Promote the work of any architect on a global level in order to facilitate, eventually, their access to the restricted and difficult Chinese architectural design market.
• Gather together architectural ideas from around the world to enable the selection of the best project to be developed in Hong Kong.
• To bring together the best ideas associated with urban awareness which, at the same time, are capable of reflecting both Chinese culture and that of the western world.
• To generate the discussion of ideas regarding intervention in unconventional projects.
THE PROJECT: A TOWER – NIGHTCLUB HOTEL:
The “Luxury Nightclub Hotel” being proposed aims to be an original building, not only devoted to adult entertainment, but also a venue for shows (like those presented at the Moulin Rouge in Paris), a place of relaxation with a massage service and a spa, as well as a first class hotel, and, above all, a system of customer service based on the contemporary parameters of “zero ecological impact”, fostering a new type of habitability (such as self-generated energy), basic maintenance (a minimal number of employees tasked with cleaning) and an almost total absence of contaminating waste (making use of joint services, the classification of biodegradable and non-degradable waste and employment of clean energy).
The objective of this “Nightclub Hotel” is that of providing guests with an agreeable experience in a hygienic, safe and high class environment where they can spend the night and wake up in Hong Kong, while at the same time providing them, within the same premises, with a unique sensorial experience.
The competition aims to create an avant-garde concept within the field of accommodation and adult entertainment that will form part of any initiative –private or public- for an integrated project, to be presented together with other technical reports (hotel feasibility study, environmental impact study, financial investment proposal, statistical study of tourism figures), leading to the future construction of a project of this type.
To this end, the “Nightclub Hotel” will consist of a basic plan that will occupy a constructed area of 25,000 (twenty-five thousand) square meters.
Eligible for participation in the competition are:
• Architects and from all around the word, working as individuals or in collaboration, as long as they have completed their studies. It is not compulsory to be a registered or associated architect, but they can also participate.
• Architecture students are also eligible, but only under the direction of an Architect (could be a professor, but is not mandatory).
• Multidisciplinary teams may also take part in the competitions (designers, engineers, artist, etc.) as long as they have an Architect as Team Leader.
Note: At any given case, teams should have six (06) members at most.
These are the awards:
• US $ 3,500 (THREE THOUSAND AND FIVE HUNDRED AMERICAN DOLLARS)
• One plane ticket to Hong Kong, to attend the award ceremony and exhibition of the contest HONG KONG 2011, to take place in February 2012.
• Accommodations for two nights for two people in Hong Kong.
• An appearance on the German design magazine “Wettbewerbe Aktuell” (www.wettbewerbe-aktuell.de) on the HONG KONG 2011 Contest, and particularly of the winning projects.
• An appearance on the edition of Latin American architecture magazine “ARQ•: procesos” on the HONG KONG 2011 Contest, during the year.
• An appearance in the edition of Spanish magazine of architectural contests “FUTURE (www.arqfuture.com)”.
• US$ 1,000 (ONE THOUSAND AMERICAN DOLLARS).
• US $ 500 (FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS)
9 HONORARY MENTIONS
START OF COMPETITION August 2nd, 2011
SPECIAL REGISTRATION From August 2nd until August 29th, 2011
EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION from August 30th until September 26th, 2011
LATE REGISTRATION from September 27th until November 2nd, 2011
ANSWERING OF QUERIES Replies updated on the website’s FAQ section during the competition
PROPOSAL SUBMISSION DEADLINE November 14th, 2011
WINNERS ANNOUNCED December, 2011
HONG KONG EXHIBITION February, 2012
Special Registration: From August 2nd to August 29th 2011: US$ 100.00
Early Registration: From August 30st to September 26th 2011: US$ 150.00
Late Registration: From September 27th to November 2nd, 2011: US$ 200.00
Further information at www.arquitectum.com