This competition is an architectural design competition for the realization of the Gosan Library in Suseong-gu, Daegu Metropolitan City Library which is expected to start construction in 2013. The purpose of the competition is to seek a wide range of ideas from experts from both Korea and overseas along with student groups in order to build a sustainable public library that can accommodate the recent changes in various knowledge transmission media as well as changes in library user demographics. This is in keeping with Daegu Metropolitan City’s new policy direction, which the city is aiming toward, of becoming a knowledge based economy from its past as a distribution based city. We expect that it will develop the quality of the small-scale community for local residents who are based in the regional community of Daegu, and ultimately we hope that through this, prospective discussion on the nature of building local community public libraries in Korea will have the chance to grow.
Competition Assignment Outline
– Location: 571-1, Shinmae-dong, Suseong-gu Daegu Metropolitan City, Republic of Korea
– Site Area: 2,080 ㎡
– Construction Size : Maximum 1 floor underground, 4 floors above-ground Total floor area 3,100 ㎡
– Building Cost: KRW \7,800,000,000
*Total floor area may be increased or decreased up to around 5% according to the designer.
– Registration period: From May 31, 2012 to July 30, 2012
– Registration fee: USD $80 (KRW \90,000)
Bank charges will be paid by the participant.
Scheduled dates and Deadlines
– May 2012: Competition opens
– June 30: Deadline for inquiry receipt
– July 15: Answers to inquiries (homepage and e-mail)
– July 30: Deadline for Registration
– Sept 10: Deadline for submission of works
(The postal seal date should be no later than September 10 AND the works should arrive until September 20)
– Sept 24-28: Jury
– Sept 29: Announcement of results
– Oct 10: Award ceremony
– Oct 10-16: Exhibition